Sunday, March 20, 2016

“Afterlife” by Avenged Sevenfold (2007)




Avenged Sevenfold holds on to rock


I thought 2009 would be the resurgence of Rock music. I was wrong. Anyway, I was happy enough to have witnessed the 'last years of Rock'.

By the 'last years of Rock', I mean the last time when Rock, in its many sub-genres, was a regular staple in FM stations, MTV, and Channel V. I speak about the time when listeners tune in to Rock, talk about Rock, read about Rock, and think about Rock.

And also in other words, I speak about the time people ROCK – and we do not even have Facebook, Instagram or selfie sticks then. We do not need them to be cool then.

It was years ago when I first saw “Afterlife” on Channel V. I was new to the city and the city was new to me, so that made us even. I just landed my first job. I was still building self-confidence. It was an unforgettable year. It is a year I would like to travel back to tweak a few things.

Too bad time travel is still impossible. But death is always inevitable.

avenged sevenfold rock metal afterlife
Image from http://www.bandswallpapers.com/img6118.htm

Musings of life


I am no philosopher nor theologian, but death is a topic that I ponder on whenever I feel alone, afraid, sad – when there is nothing to think about.

Will people say good things about me when I die? How would my family handle the money and belongings I would leave behind? Will by secrets be finally revealed? What would become of the people who owe me money?

Have I been a good person after all? Have I enjoyed life? Have I been a good and trustworthy steward of the money and material possessions placed into my hands?

Would people remember me for the good I have done or the good I have failed to do so?

But the serious questions: When will I die? How will I die? Why will I die? Where will I die?

Whatever, I am too young to die, and it's too early for me to die. I still have too many things to do, to accomplish on earth. If I die, I will tell God or Satan to send me back. Should I be lucky, I will make things right so I can “escape from the afterlife”.

Moreover, I don't like to die in the city.

I would like this song to be played at my funeral, along with “Helena” by My Chemical Romance.


No comments:

Post a Comment