Tuesday, May 3, 2016

“Judas” by Lady Gaga (2011)




Song as controversial as fallen apostle Judas


Never was a Lady Gaga fan, but I love four of her songs: “Paparazzi”, “Alejandro”, “Bad Romance”, and “Judas”. Controversial, the music video for “Judas” was for its use of religious imagery and its irreverent and highly sexualized portrayal of Jesus Christ, which angered Christians.

judas lady gaga
Mary Magdalene (Lady Gaga) riding at the back of Jesus Christ (Rick Gonzalez)

"Judas" was one of the most anticipated singles of 2011, the same year that gave us Rebecca Black's “Friday”, Nicki Minaj's “Super Bass”, Demi Lovato's “Skyscraper”, and Girls Generation's “Mr. Taxi”. The song turned five last month, and writing this blog piece is my way of (post)celebration.

Blasphemous, the video may be in the eyes of Christians, but cool for me. It was mayhem meeting faith, prayer inspiring dance (or the other way round). The character Jesus was just being Jesus, meeting people and healing the sick. The character Judas was way badass, having good time with the crowd and picking fights while his Master was doing God's business.

judas norman reedus
Judas (Norman Reedus) kissing Jesus Christ (Rick Gonzalez)

Judas, a cool song anyway


"Judas" makes a good movie adaption, a relevant and modern retelling of the Passion of the Christ, but without the lipstick coming out of a gold-plated gun. That's way too silly.

"Judas" was released around the time when I was slowly gravitating towards Jpop. If I am not wrong, this could be the only song in English and from the West that I like in current times. I already loved it when it was released, and when I heard it full. It played more on my mind than Beyonce's “Best Thing I Never Had”, Carly Rae Jepsen's “Call Me Maybe”, and Eminem and Rihanna's “The Monster”.

I just discovered on the Internet some hits by Western artists but they were old songs and coming from artists I have not heard of before. And there was this one modern soundtrack, a remake of a rock classic by a singer of a genre that I rarely listen to. About that singer, it was 10 years since I first heard her.


No comments:

Post a Comment