Tuesday, May 9, 2017

"This I Promise You" by Shane Filan (2017)




Double memories: Westlife lead singer belts out NSYNC hit


I stumbled upon this track hours ago. I forgot how, but I think I didn't forget the feeling I experienced: I was immediately blown away. This is an LSS hit, I mentally told myself as I kept hitting the replay button multiple times.

World record-breaking pop vocal group Westlife and its singers were out of my radar for the longest time now. I was surprised to know Shane Filan keeps himself active in the music scene. I believe he has released a number of materials over the year, but fame has already eluded him. Nevertheless, I was just happy there's someone from my glorious generation to keep the flame burning... with an oldie that has not been played by FM stations in the Philippines for the very long time.

westlife shane filan love always
Shane Filan (Image from https://www.hotpress.com)

If memory serves me right, Westlife once covered a song from O-Town, who shared the same creator with the Backstreet Boys and NSYNC. With Shane Filan covering NSYNC's #1 Billboard Adult Contemporary Hit of 2000, everything's coming back into my mind: the first time I saw the song's video by the original artist, a Westlife VCD given to me by a classmate, O-Town's lack of radio airplay for their second album... and how great the oldies are.

I'm listening to this song as I write this post. I really can't say much. Just listen to this song. This version is more soulful, more touching, and more of a love song than the original version. Don't you agree?

westlife
Westlife during the good old days (Image from http://www.independent.ie)

Now I wonder, what if the band is back to cover this song? Will it be a better version? But the question is: will Westlife ever reunite? Only time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment