Sunday, July 23, 2017

"Faint" by Linkin Park (2003)




Memories of Chester Bennington (1976-2017)


Even after two days, the death (possible suicide) of Chester Bennington still shocked me. I feel #Numb up to this day. Of all the people to die that day, why him? Why not the terrorists, pedophile clergymen, corrupt politicians, slave traders, cheating merchants? Why him, of all people?

Chester Bennington came into my life 15 years ago, when I played "Papercut" and "In The End" on the player. Two years later, he cemented into my life at the release of Linkin Park's second album Meteora. (Bennington, if what I read is right, is an Orthodox Christian and the album title happens to be the name of a monastery somewhere in Greece. Fellow Orthodox Chris Cornell of Soundgarden and Audioslave, is a close friend of his and a godfather to Bennington's daughter. Cornell also committed suicide earlier this year.)

linkin park faint meteora nu metal
Image from Wikipedia

Being a newbie to the nu metal sound, I was blasted right away by Bennington's vocals in "Somewhere I Belong", "From The Inside", and "Faint", which for me is the best and the most powerful song on the record - and also the most aggressive of all Linkin Park and all nu metal songs. This is a nu metal anthem in the year 2003, the peak year of the genre. "Faint" is one of the best and most memorable songs of 2003. Linkin Park helped defined the 2000s. This song help define nu metal.


Bennington was a dreamer before he was a nu metal icon. He would visualized himself as one of the members of the English electronic band Depeche Mode. The dreamer would later send his demo to what would become the biggest nu metal acts of all times and demo-ed over the phone. Iconic, that's what I call it.

The dreamer would later become a music icon who would define the sound of my generation. Meteora defined my existence in 2003. “Faint” defined the person I was 14 years ago. I wanted to be like him. I wanted to get into music, but the heavens got other plans for me: rather than perform music, I preserve the memory of music (good music, I mean).


“Faint” helped me get through the rough year 2003 was. Onwards, it made me recall a dream I used to dream, an aspiration I held onto until college graduation. I wanted to be like Chester Bennington. Now I want to preserve his memory.

Thank you very much, Chester Bennington! You will live forever in my life. Consider me worthy in the task to preserve your memory.

Image from Alchetron

Viva Chester Bennington!

#RIPChesterBennington


No comments:

Post a Comment